Friday, May 8, 2009

Sunflower Club

I just finished reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli with my sixth graders. They really enjoyed the book--one class even applauded when we were done! At the end of the book, some of the high school students form a club called the Sunflower Club. The idea of the club is for each member to do one nice thing for someone else each day. What a concept!

This Sunday is Mother's Day. I love my mom and am excited that I get to spend the weekend with her. However, I really feel stongly that I don't need a made up Hallmark holiday to give me a reason to do so. What if we all treated our mom's as if every day was Mother's Day? What if we treated other people as we would like to be treated? What if we all were members of the Sunflower Club? There is no initiation fee .

1 comments:

M said...

My 3rd grader has read some Jerry Spinelli books.
Glad to find your blog. Hope you enjoy it.

M